This is your chance to join a GFAS-accredited, rapidly growing sanctuary for formerly farmed animals and help create a kinder world! We are seeking a full-time Animal Caregiver. If you want to work with animals, this is a fantastic career opportunity. The right person could grow in any number of directions as the sanctuary grows. This position may include future on-site housing for the right candidate.
The Animal Caregiver reports to the Operations Manager and is responsible for all aspects of daily animal care, including:
- Lovingly providing food and water for animals
- Meticulously cleaning barn and stalls
- Implementing veterinary care treatment plans in accordance with directions
- Participating in hoof trimming, sheep shearing, equine dentistry, and similar appointments
- Helping to maintain buildings and fences
- Helping to maintain grounds and pastures
- Training and working with volunteers
- Leading tours and helping with events
- Advocating for veganism
- Assisting in maintaining records for each individual animal
- Regularly contributing content for social media and website
This is a dirty job involving heavy physical labor. It is also intense, emotionally challenging work. The Animal Caregiver will work weekends and some holidays, and s/he may be asked to work overnight to care for the animals. At the same time, the Animal Caregiver’s voice will be heard and s/he will be fully supported. Our work culture is mutually supportive, inclusive, warm-hearted, and driven by passion for our mission and a very strong work ethic.
If you are the right person for the job and give it your all, you will have limitless potential. You will only love this job if you are a very hard worker, truly love other animals and are committed wholeheartedly to their liberation.
The ideal candidate is:
- Committed to and passionate about Indraloka’s mission, vision, and values
- Experienced in caring for rescued farmed animals
- Able to carry 50 pounds or more
- Able to work outside in every weather extreme
- Happy working in solitude, but also comfortable working with others
- Able to work independently
- Able to understand and precisely follow oral and written directions
- Extremely observant and able to notice and communicate subtle changes in animals’ appearance and behavior
- Able to fix and sometimes build things
- Terrific with humans, and will enjoy giving tours and helping out with events
- Open-minded and willing to learn (even when new information contradicts previously held beliefs)
- Committed to personal responsibility
- An excellent communicator, both orally and in writing
- Able to work in a busy and ever-changing environment
- Calm under pressure
- An ardent advocate for veganism
- Committed to environmental responsibility
Additionally, the candidate must have a valid driver’s license, pass criminal history, child abuse, and FBI clearances, and be willing to work long hours including weekends, some holidays, and possible overnights. Pay is based on experience. Benefits include 401K plan and health insurance. This position does not currently include on-site housing, but the right candidate may be offered on-site housing at a future point in time.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.